Why Your Home May Need Flood Insurance

A&J Blog Posts

Even your home may need flood insurance

How to Protect Your Home and Not Break Your Budget Series – Week 3

Our 4-week series is a must for every homeowner. Once you buy a home, it’s now all your responsibility! But are you truly prepared for the unexpected? This series is a great overview of what you need to know when it comes to getting homeowner’s insurance, keeping your home safe and secure, and avoiding costly mistakes when protecting your home.

This week you’ll learn why flood insurance just might be something you may need even if you don’t live near water. Don’t make it an afterthought.

Not on a floodplain and not worried about your home getting damaged by flooding? That could be a costly mistake!

Even a “low-risk” home could be hit with damage from flooding, and most standard homeowner’s insurance policies don’t include flood protection.

Take the time to learn what is and isn’t covered in your home’s insurance policy and whether adding additional flood insurance is a good idea even if your home is not considered to be in an official floodplain by FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency).

The extra coverage could be well worth it. Our rundown of questions and answers below is a good starting point for you. But, remember, always consults with an insurance agent for more specific information.

Why do I need separate flood protection?

Flood damage is NOT part of your standard homeowner’s insurance policy!

Protect yourself now so you aren’t overwhelmed with any debt from repairing your home and replacing your belongings from flood damage. According to the National Flood Insurance Program, “a six-inch flood that hits a 2,000-square-foot home is likely to cause about $40,000  in damage.”

What is flood insurance?

A flood insurance policy is a separate policy from either a private insurance company or through an agent who is partnered with the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

A policy will cover physical damage to your “building”; you can also get one to cover personal contents. There are some exceptions to both.

Your policy rate will vary depending on your property’s flood risk, how much insurance you purchase, and what is covered. There is usually a 30-day waiting period from the purchase date until you’re covered.

You can buy a maximum coverage of $250,000 for buildings and up to $100,000 for contents. For those buildings worth more than $250,000, then you can increase your coverage to $750,000. The policy needs to be renewed every year.

What is considered a flood and what is not?

The definition of a “flood” is very specific when it comes to insurance. It’s considered a temporary condition with water or mud that affects normally dry land.

However, this is important:

  • To be considered a flood, the damage has to affect two or more properties, NOT just your property.
  • If it’s only your property, then two or more acres of land need to be affected.

On the flip side, a policy won’t cover a situation when it’s only your basement filling up with water after experiencing inundating rain. Even wind-driven rain through your roof or wall is not considered flood-related.

That’s why you need to make sure your gutters are not clogged and your yard is properly draining since any damage like that is all on you.

What can cause flood-related damage?

Your home can be hit with flood damage from rapid rainfall accumulation, overloaded drainage systems in the community that can’t handle water runoff, overflowing river banks (Grand River!), and even snow melting.

Many regions across the country have had a fair share of weather-related flooding that’s been costly and damaging to local communities, businesses, and homeowners. With more urban development and less vegetation in many communities, water runoff can be very destructive.

How is my policy rate determined?

Rates for your home will not differ between agents or companies since they are set by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

Several factors determine your specific rate:  the age of your home; the number of floors; how it was built; the elevation of your property and location of the lowest floor; and your flood risk (high, moderate, low).

Your flood risk is determined by FEMA. A flood map shows your risk level within a community, which will determine the cost of your flood insurance. The lower the risk, the lower the flood insurance premium.

Can I find out my home’s flood risk or flood zone?

Yes, you can access FEMA flood maps and other local government information. FEMA can alter your risk level if certain factors change.

Something important to note is that the flood maps for Kent County were updated in February of 2023. That means that they have changed which homes may now be in a flood plain. If you had a LOMA (Letter of Map Amendment) previously filed to remove you from a flood plain it is now invalid. You will need to go get it re-certified.

A “flood risk” isn’t based on what has or hasn’t happened in the past. It is based on current factors such as rainfall, river flow, tidal-surge data, topography, flood-control measures, and building development changes in the area.

Check out this website: FEMA’s National Flood Hazard Layer Map

Is flood insurance ever mandatory?

Yes, if you live in a high-risk area and have a mortgage through a federally insured or regulated lender.

Due to tougher regulations and revised Flood Zone maps, many homeowners are now being required by their lenders to obtain Flood Insurance. The properties most affected are those fronting a body of water, which in West Michigan is quite a few.

While all homes are at risk for catastrophic flooding, many of these properties do not warrant Flood Insurance.

You have options, one is a standard rate policy that offers separate building and personal content coverage. If you’re in a high-risk area, lenders may require you to purchase a policy before they will give you a mortgage.

Another option is to be proactive and hire a Professional Land Surveyor to establish if flood insurance is necessary.  They will work with you to evaluate your property and provide an Elevation Certificate and Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) to FEMA when appropriate.

If you need a Professional Land Surveyor please reach out to us at aprilandjean@ajrealtypartners.com and we will provide you with contact information.

What if I’m in a low- or moderate-risk area?

You are not required to get insurance but it’s recommended. The NFIP says that almost 25% of claims come from low- or moderate-risk areas.

You also might be eligible for Preferred Risk Policy premiums, which are the lowest premiums available through the NFIP. If you don’t qualify for that then you can get a standard-rated policy.

There are also changes you can make to your home to make it more flood-safe. That can change the amount of money you are required to pay for insurance.

Should I get flood insurance if I own a condo?

Yes. It’s a good idea to get building (your unit damage) and personal contents coverage. Your policy rate also will be based on the flood risk of your condo building. You could be eligible for the Preferred Risk Policy if you’re in a moderate- to low-risk area.

What is typically covered with flood insurance?

For your building coverage: actual structure and foundation; electrical and plumbing systems; central air conditioning; furnace; water heater; certain appliances – refrigerator, stovetop, dishwasher; permanently installed carpeting, paneling, bookcases and cabinets, and debris removal.

For personal contents coverage: Clothing; furniture; electronics; curtains; carpeting; portable air conditioners, microwaves; clothing washers and dryers; freezers and food inside; and items such as artwork for up to $2,500.

Limited Coverage:  basements, crawl spaces, and any areas below the lowest elevated floor of your home.

What is typically not covered?

Property and belongings outside of the insured building such as trees, plants, septic systems, walkways, decks, patios, fences, hot tubs, and swimming pools.

Money, currency, stock certificates, and precious metals.

Any living expenses for temporary housing.

Cars, motorcycles, and “self-propelled” vehicles.

Any damage that could have been avoided by the homeowner such as moisture, mildew, and mold.

Will the federal government help me out when there is a major flood?

Government aid is only available when it’s been declared a federal disaster area.

However, having flood insurance won’t prevent you from receiving aid. And, remember, government aid is a loan not outright compensation for damage. It’s still a good idea to have your own flood insurance policy so you’re always protected.

For more information and how to find an agent to work with, check out FloodSmart.gov.

Next week is the last installment of our How to Protect Your Home And Not Break Your Budget Series. You’ll learn why it’s important to budget now so you’re ready for any costly maintenance blunders. Plus how to avoid those homeowner mistakes!

Hi, there!

We're April and Jean, we help first-time sellers in the Northeast Grand Rapids area. Our number one focus is you! We are here to guide you through the process of selling your first home and buying your next. That way you can buy and sell with confidence.  

Let's Meet



Key Realty
2905 Wilson Avenue SW
Suite 105
Grandville, MI 49418


Buyer tips

Our Listings

Seller tips

Blog Posts

schedule your free consultation

Hi, there!

We're April and Jean, we help first-time sellers in the Northeast Grand Rapids area.
Our number one focus is you! We are here to guide you through the process of selling your first home and buying your next. That way you can buy and sell with confidence. 

schedule your
free consultation


Our Listings


All Articles

We have a proven process for profitably selling your current home, so you can move right into your next home without upending your life OR budget. Sign up to get our guide. 

How to balance buying and selling at the same time

* indicates required