Fall is here. What steps can you take now to protect your home from the upcoming winter?
- Let’s start with the foundation. Check all walls, floors, concrete, and masonry for cracking, or deterioration. If you can fit a dime into the crack, get it checked out!
- Clean and cover patio furniture and your grill to help protect them from the elements.
- Clean the leaves out the rain gutters. Leaves and other debris can lead to problems with your gutters working properly. clogged rain gutters will allow ice to build up and cause leaks.
- Check that the downspouts are pointed away from the house, and ensure they are properly fastened. Ensure proper drainage at least 6′ away from your house. Keep that foundation dry!
- Up on the roof, check flashing around the vents, skylights, gables and other openings.
- Check all doors and windows for drafts -Your doors and windows can be some of the major areas where you lose heat from your home, which could be costing you money. Add or replace weather stripping, caulk inside and out where necessary.
- Trim back all tree limbs and vegetation away from the house.
- Have your furnace and fireplace cleaned and checked by a professional.
- Change your furnace filter. Not only does cleaning or replacing the air filter in your furnace improve the air quality, it will also make it run more efficiently. The more efficiently your furnace runs, the more money it will save you on monthly heating bills.
- Make sure to shut off those exterior faucets and drain the water from any outdoor pipes, valves, and sprinkler pipes. The last thing you want to deal with when the cold weather hits is frozen pipes. You should also remove any attached hoses and store them away to prevent cracks and prolong their lives.
- Winterize your AC by shutting off the breaker and preventing debris from getting into the unit.
- And last but not least, test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
By doing these small things, you can save yourself some serious winter damage and increase the lifespan of your home. For more information please contact A&J Realty Partners, we would be happy to refer you to a home inspector who can make sure your home is winter-ready!
Make it a great Home buying and selling day!
We're April and Jean and we love helping people get into a home that fits their lifestyle. We call it "Right-Sizing", whether that is moving up to a bigger home or downsizing into something smaller. Let us know how we can help you make your real estate dreams come true.
2850 44th Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
schedule your free consultation